Alan Moore and David Gibbons - Watchmen (1987)

89


 I've never cared about superhero comics, and admittedly the only one I own(ed at some point) is one where Scooby Doo teams up with the Phantom Stranger among other heroes I forgot the names of. Also let it be known I thought it was a comic about the other DC character, Question, since they happen to look similar. Also ALSO let it be known that Question and Phantom Stranger are my favorite superheroes although my stray pile of plastic LEGO Batman helmets would argue otherwise.

The fact that I'm a certified superhero disliker and this is still a four stars is telling. This is far closer to some philosophical sociopolitical drama amongst detectives who happen to have superheroes than a "boom, pow, villain go bye bye" set up. The art is fantastic, it all looks like it came straight from one of the Street Sects album covers, and the story's unique and gritty approach to trauma, morality, and murder are all very much something I would've never expected going in.

Why this isn't five stars is just cause I don't really like reading graphic novels, I prefer the normie paragraphs to staring at insanely well drawn images with walls of text beside them

Comments