Isaac Asimov - Foundation (1951)

21



Comic book guy from the Simpsons: the book

one of the most singlehandedly boring books I've made myself read. Something about the bland sci-fi atmosphere really does not work for me: war and peace is about as boring at this imo (albeit just in a different way. War and Peace isn't really that boring, it's just pretty exhausting and overwhelming). I'm biased cause I hate sci-fi but these 200 pages could not have felt any longer than they were. The overall pessimism of this review might just be because I'm coming fresh off the heels of Wuthering Heights being a lot less life-altering than I heard it was, and my disappointment from that is just kinda rubbing off on this.

also, just as a sidenote here: yes, I understand how my complaints with this book feeling uninteresting and generic is just a conseq1uence of the fact that it inspired all the uninteresting and generic sci-fi that came after it, I'm sure this would be good to me if those books didn't exist. Well, ok, I wouldn't actively not like it.

Someone mentioned how there are no female characters, and that also is a problem for me here. Not sure why, the book just feels so dry when every character is a boring man named "Qwayle" or something like that. Now don't get me wrong, there are cool ideas here: psychohistory sounds neat, the idea of a society of smart people trying to stop the end of the world, and uhhhh idk that's it. 

Even reading the wikipedia plot summary is boring. 21/100

Comments