James Joyce - Ulysses (1922)

99

 I love this book more than any human being should just because of how ABSOLUTELY INSANE it is. The last forty pages of the book are taken up with something you could describe as either "the world's longest sentence" or just straight-up forgetting to punctuate anything. This book doesn't even feel like it was written by a person, it's almost as if it was written by someone's soul. 

I think I'd describe this book as a perfectionist's worst nightmare: it features a very non-linear plot focused entirely on themes, reading it for the story alone is practically impossible, how the chapters are actually written changes (some parts of this are written like poetry, some parts are like stage plays, and some are q/a format for whatever reason). This is kinda like A Pickle For the Knowing Ones but with just enough competency it's not even jokingly a great book. It's just straight up a great book.

is this novel something special? Indeed, sire. The game is afoot!


also I've been jokingly referring to this man as James Earl Joyce for the longest time and every time I write his name I have to stop myself from saying the fake middle name

Comments