Michael Gira - Why I Ate My Wife (1995)

17

Yo yo yo it's time for a Blogger exclusive. This is because of the fact that I had planned on reading the entirety of The Consumer but decided not to after reading that it was just a boring hodgepodge of overly verbose shock value-reliant prose in the form of twenty short stories. Sad. Still wanted to read something by him but he's only written in the form of short story collections, so I just found the text to one of his tamer stories online and yeah it's not on Goodreads. 

Review:

Michael Gira writes like the guy who wrote YIIK if he was trying to be edgy. Like, putting it as nicely as possible, some people are just music people and not book people. Gira is just a music person, not a writing person. This entire story feels like a ridiculously try-hard attempt to be dark and disturbing. Like dude I've read creepypastas that don't feel this ill-approached. Could be interesting if the only qualifications for good writing in your eyes are just that the book in question is dark and spooky but I mean if you're going to read something like this, you might as well read a good version of it.

TLDR: go read The Road if you want a kinda spooky and dark book, its like 100x better than this, and what I assume most of the writing on The Consumer is. Also don't get me mistaken, this is not a musical sell out book or anything, it was seriously made from a place of passion and written as a work of art

Comments

Post a Comment